Thursday, September 1, 2011
Daylilies + Daffodils = Double Delight/Dynamic Do Oh!
I have a love/hate relationship with daffodils. I adore the flowers. They are graceful, resilient, occasionally scented, come in a crisp array of spring whites, yellows, golds and orange and make fabulous cut flowers. They provide the perfect hiding place for your resident garden fairy. They cannot be damaged by old man winter and his late season rastiness.
BUT, I hate the foliage. I would someday like to ask God, what were you thinking?! Such a beautiful bloom, but those leaves...! I mean, it all starts well enough, but after the flowers are gone you have to leave all that foliage until it browns before it can be removed. It would be different if they would stand up like most respectable foliage (liriope, for instance) but oh, no! The daffodil foliage lays around like an overgrown bunch of spineless grass.
What is a gardener to do?
Give the Daffodil a gardening buddy, a partner in sublime. Who is this mysterious counterpart? This ying to the daf's yang? Ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce, the Daylily!
Here's how it happens. Plant the daffodils just below the daylilies in the same area. In the spring, the daffodils will do their thing. By the time the flowers have passed and the foliage is beginning to get irritating, the daylily leaves are quickly growing up and out. The lilies successfully conceal their low lying companions while their graceful blooms turn to the sun. Double the fun.
This is my kind of math. Daylilies + Daffodils = a Dynamic Do Oh!
Let's Grow,
Ann/GG
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment