I am a woman on a mission. I am out to reach the world, one bulb at a time.
As a garden center manager, I had many responsibilities but my favorite was purchasing. Christmas ornaments, organic fertilizers, watering cans, I was catalogue after catalogue of beautiful things. But when I first saw the books of spring bulbs, I was stunned.
Did you know there are hundreds of different kinds of tulips? Single, double, fringed, multi stemmed, tall, short, early, late, mid season, hybrid, not to mention red, pink, blue, white, purple, orange, cream, veined, parrot, Darwin, etc. But that's not all. Then there are the hyacinth, alliums, anemones, crocus, snowdrops and daffodils. Scented, unscented, giant, mini, grape, wild, dutch, ... it never ends.
Why have we gotten away from planting these breathtaking beauties in our gardens? Is it cost? Really, for something that will come back year after year, bulbs are a great value. Convenience? Probably. We are all just to busy to get out there and plant them. Sometimes when we have the opportunity, Mother Nature is uncooperative. Still, it's a shame. We need to find a way to turn this around.
Spring bulbs have a unique roll in the world of gardening. They are a visual trumpet for our winterized eyes, like nature's hot sauce waking up your senses and adding zest to an otherwise colorless landscape.
It's time to revisit the bulbs in your life. What else can you plant that doesn't immediately need watering and lots of TLC? Bulbs are virtually free of pests and diseases making them a maintenance dream. They are forgiving and carefree unless you plant them upside down! They plant well with others. They keep to themselves and don't insist on traveling beyond their borders. They insist on blooming their heads off in spite of Mother Nature's late winter antics.
So, have I converted you yet? I dare you to pick up a bulb catalogue and not drool. This is one indulgence you should give into.
All for bulbs and bulbs for all!
Let's Grow!
Ann



No comments:
Post a Comment